Highland Lacrosse Is Hopeful For This Season

Highland goes up against Woods Cross in a face-off.

Lindie Bell

Lindie Bell

Lindie Bell, Staff Writer

Lacrosse season is in full swing and the team is enthusiastically putting much effort into getting better. The games are exciting to watch, while each player is filled with adrenaline and passion. One can infer the team is tightly knit and well run, just by watching them play.

On game nights, students are gathered on the bleachers so eager and excited to watch the sport, it almost feels like a football game. The student body support is faithful and consistent in coming to the lacrosse games.

Although the lacrosse team feels closely tied to Highland, it’s a club sport and the team has had to work hard just for their privilege to play on the turf field. This is the first season the team has been allowed to play on the field. Getting the field for practice is a different story. Because there was not any other time for the team to practice on the field, they were practicing at unreasonable times at beginning of the season. Practices were held 8pm-10pm, resulting in drained athletes the next morning at 7:45 am.

“We had to work really hard to get the turf, and we rent it so we have to pay.” Sam Whisesnant, a Junior at Highland and a lacrosse player said.

Along with their struggle to play on the turf, the club sport cannot receive any school funding. The team’s gear is an out of pocket cost for all those who wish to play.

“It costs a lot to play lacrosse, so a lot of kids can’t play. We don’t get any free gear or anything, everyone has to provide their own.” Whisenant said.

Being a club sport rather than a school sanctioned sport brings many inconveniences for the players and their families. Student athletes are allowed to be excused from classes in order to get to an earlier game or meet. Lacrosse players are not allowed to be excused from class, resulting in late games which often take place far away. The players come home at late hours, exhausted, with large amounts of homework and school the next morning.

Despite the struggles the team has faced, they are still proving their skill. In Tuesday’s game, Highland Lacrosse walked away with a huge win against Woods Cross.

The team worked like clockwork earlier this week, but they still recognize their weaknesses and are doing everything they can to improve them.

Highland Lacrosse has worked hard in preparation for this season, and has overcome many obstacles in the way. The players are dedicated and determined to do their best and get a little bit better each game. The troubles that come with being a club sport rather than a school sport have been bothersome, but the lacrosse players will not let the inconveniences slow them down.