Scholarship and Awards Night makes Seniors Sentimental

Gretchen McConkie, Associate Editor

Wednesday, May 24, 2017—Senior students of Highland flock to the auditorium simultaneously thrilled and terrified by what the next few weeks have in store for them. While all of senior year seems to be nostalgic, nothing seems to bring back the wistful memories of high school as Highland’s Scholarship and Awards Night. The auditorium in transformed as some of Highland’s elect students are recognized for their efforts in academics, extracurriculars, athletics, and more.

While many of the students are aware of the awards they will receive—there are a couple of surprises announced by Missy Mackay-Whiteurs and Daniel Shwamm. Some of the scholarship awards announced are the Nick Caputo Award, Ilene Gorzitze Award, Warner Brothers Award, and Principal’s Scholarship Award. The recipient of the Principal’s Scholarship Award receives 500 dollars to go towards tuition and is recognized for their valiant efforts to excel both scholastically as well as in their community. The winner of the award was Tiara Willie, an avid Native American Rights activist in the community and founder of the Native American Heritage Club at Highland.

The Sterling Scholars of Highland are also acknowledged and Departmental Awards of Excellence are announced. Lilo Clark was one of Highland’s seniors to win multiple awards including a Departmental Award of Excellence for the Category of Healthy Lifestyles and Fitness, Nick Caputo Scholarship recipient, and Ram Medallion Reward.

“I had no idea that I was going to be awarded anything. I feel really honored and humbled to be the recipient of the Nick Caputo award because one of the main factors is leadership. It has been such surprise for me to see that people recognize my efforts,” Highland senior Lilo Clark said.

While Clark was thrilled to be honored throughout the night, he was more impressed by the Ram Medallion Award that many of his peers received which was awarded to any senior that had applied and participated in a variety of Highland activities over the course of their high school experience.

“I think that the Ram Medallion Award is great. It recognizes a lot of different students at Highland. I think that everyone should be recognized for their hard work and this night really does an excellent job of doing that,” Clark said.

Many of Highland’s Administrators echo Clark’s statement saying that it is some of their favorite nights of the school year to commend students that are doing their best and going beyond expectations.

“I think it is wonderful to celebrate students any time that we are given the opportunity to. The Ram Medallion is something that every student can work for and achieve while at Highland,” Assistant Principal Mary Lane Grisley said.

The night was wrapped up by the Highland Madrigals singing “Blessing in Leaving”.

“I really loved being able to honor my peers. I think that Highland does an excellent job of helping students prepare for the real world while also providing them with memories and experiences that they can remember fondly,” Highland Vice President Lauren Kerr said.

The class of 2017 will graduate on June 1st at 1 p.m. at the Huntsman Center where the seniors will be further recognized and honored for their accomplishments at Highland.