Day of Service

Students tie blankets for charity.

Students tie blankets for charity.

Students tie blankets for charity.

Adeline Rigby, Staff Writer

Soko Brown works on tying a blanket

As the end of the school year grows nearer, students and teachers alike become more lax in their actions and mentality. In contrast to the rest of the school, administration is cracking down. Specifically on fines, and in order for students to complete their year with a yearbook, students willingly, even eagerly wait in the mile-long line to settle their debts with the treasurer. However, this is only one of the pieces needed to get a yearbook.

Highland’s Day of Service makes up the other part of receiving a yearbook. This is a day where if students wish to get their yearbook a day early, they must participate in the organized service projects taking place at Highland. This year, Highland students came together in the gym to tie fleece blankets, make animal books, write notes to servicemen and women, and run a carwash.

The blankets made at Day of Service will be donated to Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Utah where they will be distributed to children in need.

“I’m so glad I could tie blankets to help kids who really need it,” Highland sophomore Millie Nelson said. “It just feels so good to be able to make a difference.”

Not only were Highland students serving needy children, Sue Robinson and Elise Orlandi made sure our service men and women felt the love as students wrote notes of gratitude to the men and women serving our country.

In addition to caring notes, students also ran a car wash.

[The money raised at] the carwash goes to refugee camps to help them out and to get them the stuff that they need,” junior Zach Schreiter said. “We’re just helping out the school and raising money for people who need it.”

As the carwash raises money for refugees, Highland students also colored pictures to be put into “animal books” that will be distributed to refugees and other people who are learning english. Angie Randle and Jennie Gochnour will put these books together with labels that go with the pictures and make them available to anyone who needs them.

Highland’s Day of Service may be an incentive for early yearbooks, but it certainly makes a difference.