Rams Roll Over Spartans

Sophomore Colton White running the football.

Madison Anderson

Will Olsen, Writer

Friday night the Rams took the field against Murray for their first region game. The Rams were looking to bounce back after their disappointing loss to Lone Peak last week in which they lost 14-42. The Rams came out and did exactly what needed to be done and shutout the Murray Spartans 41-0.

The Rams struck first in the first quarter when senior Johnathan Bulalaque ran it for five yards and a touchdown. This was the only score of the first quarter. But the rams really started heating up after the first quarter ended.

The Rams began the quarter with a 40 yard field goal by senior Fernando Treceno to put them up 10-0. Then the rams struck again with 1:10 on the clock in the second quarter with a one yard run to Bulalaque. The rams were expecting to go into half with a 17-0 lead. But due to some great defense they came up with a stop. This left time on the clock for senior Cole Peterson and the rams offense. As the clock ticked down Peterson heaved a 31 yard pass to senior Elijah Shelton in the corner of the endzone, Shelton made the falling catch and sent Highland up 24-0.

The Rams didn’t have any plan of slowing down as they came out of the half looking ready for the shutout. The Rams came out of the half and on their first drive they looked to score and they settled for a Treceno field goal from 32 yards. At the end of the third Highland sophomore Colton White found the endzone with a four yard run. This gave the Rams a very convincing lead heading into the fourth.

Highland now had the opportunity to give some of their younger players some more reps. The Rams played two quarterbacks in the fourth quarter Juniors Bronson Olevao and Trajan Benson. With some of their younger players in Benson through an interception making their one and only turnover of the night. The Spartans marched down the field and had an attempt to get on the board for three points on a field goal but missed. This gave quarterback Benson a chance to get his team some more points.

They came down the field strong and finished it off with a 5 yard run from Benson scoring his first varsity touchdown and putting Highland up 41-0. As a last attempt to not get shutout the Spartans made a drive and had a field goal attempt which they missed and ended the game.

The Rams performed very well even though one of their star running backs senior Trayton Keyes had a limited number of snaps due to his wrist injury. Highland had very few errors they only had 4 penalties against them and one turnover. This was a strong start to region play but the Rams are looking to next week, their Homecoming game against the Skyline Eagles where they will try to  match this performance.