Highland Is Shook

Maggie Lea

A 3.3 earthquake hit just outside Park City on Monday

Caylee Caldwell

“There was an earthquake?”

Cali Brant, a student at Highland, was surprised at the question.

On Monday, September 18, there was an earthquake felt by only a few students at Highland. The epicenter of the earthquake was actually a lot farther than one might think.

A 3.3 magnitude earthquake hit near Lambs Canyon (a common place to find small earthquake activity) at 11:20am. There were also 6 other small earthquakes throughout Utah. Mild tremors were felt in Park City, though no damage was done. Although some of the students and staff felt it at Highland, many had no idea it was an earthquake at all. It lasted all of about- two seconds to about five seconds and was more sound than actual movement. For many people, this was their first earthquake.

Most activity was felt on the second and third floors, but still many people ruled out the possibility of an earthquake, instead connecting it to something more familiar.

“I thought it was people upstairs moving tables.” Doug Jorgensen, the biology teacher at Highland, said.

Although he felt the small tremors, he had no idea it was an earthquake. Another teacher at Highland who has been in much more severe earthquakes was also hesitant to connect it to any seismic activity.

“I noticed, but I didn’t say anything. I wasn’t 100 percent sure it was an earthquake,” Gary Rowles, a world history teacher, said.

His class hardly even noticed. He said that this was nothing compared to the earthquakes he’s been in.

“Some looked around. Hope it’s not a precursor of a big one,” he said.

Some students are less worried than Rowles.

“When I first heard it, I thought it would be really cool if it was an earthquake.” Mimi Pendergrast said.

“Now I’m excited for the next one.”

However, not many are as excited as Pendergrast.

Whitney Fauver, the secretary at Highland, got many calls during the earthquake asking about earthquake protocol.

“Stop, drop, and cover,” Fauver said, even though she never actually felt any activity at all.

Highland is located on the wasatch fault line. As many people are aware, there is a 57 percent chance that an earthquake of at least 6.0 will eventually hit the Wasatch Front. Some people from Highland, and other places, are worried this is just the beginning of the major activity. However, there is only a 5 percent chance that a larger earthquake will follow. Even still, the small 3.3 activity has caused people to spring into action, realizing the need to prepare for the next unknown tremors.