Rams To Take On Titans

Julia Daines

Lilo Clark comforting teammates after a game

Will Olsen, Staff Writer

A year ago, Highland lost to Olympus 5-3. Yes, that score is correct…in a football game! The game was marred with great defense and sloppy offense by both sides.In 2016, the teams played in the preseason. But this year, the teams are both battling for first place in region and the top seed in the playoffs. Throw that on top of the already existing rivalry between the schools and Friday is set to be a big-time atmosphere for a high school game.

After the Rams lost last year all they wanted to do was to forget about it, but they are forced to face it this year. With this major rivalry looming over their head they must watch the film from last year’s game and make sure that the performance is not repeated.

“I think we just got too hyped and didn’t perform,” senior wide receiver Elijah Shelton said.

Highland was very disappointed by this loss because of the rivalry but more because of its own performance. Now that Highland has had a loss like this, the team can use it as a driving force to win the game this year.

“We definitely don’t want that to happen again,” Shelton said.As Highland prepares for the game, the Rams are going to try to keep it simple. The Highland players felt the pressure last year and it got to them. They will try to keep the pressure at a minimum and treat it as any other game of the year as they prepare even though it will have a huge impact on the fight for the region title.

“We’ll prepare like we do for any other game,” Shelton said. “Routines keep everything simple.”  This game is going to create a high pressure environment and the test is whether the players are going to be able to thrive or crumble under the pressure. The Rams have three more games left in the regular season, each with huge playoff indications.

But for now, Olympus is the only game on their minds.