Remember The Rams, Not The Titans

Junior Matthew Lloyd runs past Olympus players in an attempt to score a touchdown.

Madison Anderson

Lauren Brown, Sports Editor

As the Rams faced back to back rivalry games the past two weeks, they were hoping the outcome of their game against the Olympus Titans Friday night would be similar to the outcome of last week’s game, where they beat the Skyline Eagles. It was similar as they were victorious and beat the Titans, 38-21.

The first quarter started off slow with the Titans scoring the first touchdown of the game with less than a minute to go and Highland remaining scoreless at the end of the quarter. Highland scored their first touchdown of the game in the second quarter with 8:26 left, tying the game at 7-7. As the second quarter continued, the Rams started to roll. With 1:53 left before halftime, senior Richard Tialavea caught a 21 yard pass by quarterback Cole Peterson, putting Highland in the lead, 14-7. With less than a minute to go and Olympus trying to score before halftime, junior Bronson Olevao intercepted a pass, running it back for a pick six. This made the score going into halftime 21-7. 

In the third quarter, the Rams continued on their scoring run with sophomore Colton White rushing for a touchdown, increasing Highland’s lead to 28-7. With around five minutes left in the third quarter, Olympus scored their second touchdown, and the score was 28-14. In the fourth quarter, senior Fernando Treceno kicked a 20 yard field goal, increasing Highland’s lead by three more points. As Highland was becoming more and more dominant, the Titans weren’t giving up. They scored a touchdown in the middle of the fourth quarter cutting Highland’s lead to 10, 31-21. But in the end, the Titans just couldn’t keep up. Peterson ran for 9 yards, scoring the final touchdown of the game and increasing Highland’s lead even more. The final score of the game was 38-21, after both teams battled it out and Highland came out on top.

Despite Highland’s win, there are things they still need to work on. The Rams need to cut back on penalties, which cost them some scoring opportunities. Highland also gave up too many big plays, and needs to work on limiting those.

“We are definitely going to be working on our tackling,” Highland head coach Brody Benson said. “We missed way too many tackles and opportunities, and are going to work on that this upcoming week.”

On the other hand, Highland had decent stops, and their running backs stepped up throughout the whole game. They were strong up front and took the game away.

A couple players that were helpful during the game were Peterson and junior Matthew Lloyd. Peterson played well, doing a good job of taking what Olympus gave him and holding onto the ball. Lloyd had a good game, both blocking and running the ball.

With this win against the Titans, the Rams are 3-0 in region. They are hoping to remain undefeated, and will need to practice hard this week as they play Lehi, who has also won every game they’ve played in region so far, on October 6th.