Anna Foulks

Anna+Foulks

Alex Sutton, Associate Web Editor

Anna Foulks is a familiar face around Highland due to her involvement within the school, and when it comes to extracurriculars, Foulks is no slouch. She is working towards being valedictorian, and was selected for the Social Sciences Sterling Scholar award. Most of these accomplishments and talents can be attributed to Foulks personality. She was a swim captain this year, and has developed a love for the sport despite never competing until high school.

“She didn’t have much experience in the pool until her freshman year, when she developed a respect for coach Gray and wanted to spend as much time as she could swimming,” Foulks mom Amy said.

The swim captains have been pushing to unify the highland team, and Foulks has take that challenge to heart.

“She has embraced the opportunity to provide the support the younger girls need to improve and enjoy being on the team,” Amy Foulks, Anna’s mom said.

This year Foulks broke the standard and roomed with mostly junior girls, instead of seniors. Foulks does her best to stand out as an example to the team, and gave her best to her final season swimming for the Rams.

Outside of her IB classes and swim, Foulks loves to play piano. Just this past month she held a small concert at Highland for her IB music theory class. It was a wonderful opportunity for her to show what she has learned as a pianist and share her tallent. Foulks has been playing since she was young, and hasn’t always been as confident as she is now in her ability.

“ The first time she performed, I was worried that she might mess up, or forget her pieces. Now when she plays, I feel so lucky to be listening” Amy Foulks said.

Her first love was piano, and one can tell from the excitement she has talking about it that she is still passionate about it.  

“I’ve done everything I can to keep piano a priority no matter what I have going on in life. I have been really lucky to connect piano with my community, and I have learned so much from my opportunities,” Foulks said.

Besides her time spent accompanying others, Foulks has been in competitions and received high praises for her skills, which came from countless hours of practice. She started playing competitively since she was just six years old, and has special class periods reserved for practicing her art during the school day, which frees up enough time for her to balance the I.B. program and swim.

What is most impressive about Foulks is her ability to balance practice with academics. She works hard to maintain perfect grades and excels at anything she puts her mind to. “Anna is crazy motivated, and is good at seeing things from multiple perspectives which really helps in class,” Daria Malovich, an I.B student and peer of Anna’s said.

Though fiercely motivated, competitive, and accomplished, Foulks has a heart of gold . “Mostly, I love having Anna as a friend because she is always willing to go to a coffee shop, grab a drink, and sit and talk for awhile,” Malovich said. It is all of these qualities that made Foulks the perfect candidate for the Social Sciences Sterling Scholar award at Highland.  Foulks plans to study as a lawyer, and eventually become a college professor.