Signing Day Acquires Three Of Our Own Rams

Pakofe (left), Lotulelei, and Shelton (right), pose for the camera after signing their papers to play college football

Jordyn Shingleton, Opinion Editor

Throughout the short four years of high school, recruiters watch football players like hawks. This year, three of Highland’s senior varsity football players have been accepted and also committed to different schools in the state of Utah.

Hunter Lotulelei, Elijah Shelton, and Michael Pakofe have all signed the papers to their future athletic years.

Lotulelei will be following in his cousins’ footsteps by playing at the University of Utah. Shelton will be heading North to play as an Aggie at Utah State. And Pakofe will be starting down his athletic road at Snow Jr. College.

“I chose the University of Utah because I have been around the coaching staff and environment for a long time.” said Lotulelei. “Both of my cousins that went and played at the U have had amazing experiences and seasons. I’m excited for my future and I’m coming in with many goals to accomplish.”

Lotulelei has an amazing support system at home whose family members have all pushed him towards his goals of playing college football. As a teacher, Lotulelei’s mom would help him with his studies so he had the academic knowledge to support his athletic goals.

One of Lotulelei’s bestfriends, on and off the field, is Shelton. They grew up playing little league together and are both very happy to have accomplished their same goal on the field together. Although they will be attending different schools in different cities, they will always remember their high school football days of pushing the other to do their very best.

“I’m excited to go to Utah State University, and especially to play at a Division One level.” said Shelton. “I’m so glad that I grew up with Hunter and that I had him by my side through all these years.”

Michael Pakofe, another Highland ram, joined Lotulelei and Shelton on signing day. He will be playing as a Badger for Snow Jr. College.

“I’d like to thank my dad, who couldn’t be here,” said Pakofe. “He always told me to push myself towards my goals, and I am very excited to be going to a junior college so I can eventually reach the D1 level.”

We wish them the best of luck as they begin the next chapter of their athletic careers.