Highland Boys Baseball Preview

Lauren Brown, Sports Editor

As the spring season gets nearer, the sound of balls hitting bats follows closely behind. This can only mean one thing… baseball season is here! The Highland baseball team is excited for the 2018 season, and are expected to have a talented team with a lot of returning players.

Key players for this season are going to be seniors Spencer Thomas and Cole Peterson, as well as sophomore Andrew Thomas. There will be eight starters returning, which makes it head coach Nick Sasich’s most veteran team he has had in his five years of coaching Highland baseball.

“With many players returnig, I expect us to be fighting for a playoff seed,” Sasich said.

However, before they can think about playoffs, the Highland baseball team will have to go up against schools like Olympus and Murray, who are two of the biggest teams they will face in region.

Because Highland baseball hasn’t been to the playoffs since 2005, this season is huge for the team. They will need to learn how to close out games and finish strong. They had a solid chance of making the playoffs last year, but lost a lot of close games that they needed to win.

“We have to be consistent through region play and avoid the peaks and valleys in order to get there,” Sasich said.

With playoffs as their end goal, the Highland baseball team has already put in the work to achieve nothing less and are excited for what they will accomplish. The boys are already off to a good start this season as they are 5-1, and can’t wait for region to start.