Highland Graduates and Student Perform For a “MAD” Cause

Maggie Lea

Members of MAD perform at Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church.

Kat Schilling, Editor-in-Chief

Blankets, lawn chairs, and hammocks covered the grassy area in front of the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church as members of the community gathered to listen to the spiritual sounds of the MAD band.  Among the people in the crowd were Highland teachers, students, and graduates who had all come to support the young adults performing to better their city.

Despite having an average age of only 19, the members of the MAD band, or Make A Difference band, have certainly impacted their community for the better.

Maggie Lea
Isaac Denison, a senior at Highland, playing the cello.

The band is made up of seven people and all but Isaac Denison, who is a senior at Highland, are college students.  The band uses drums, guitar, cello, bass, violin, and singing to move their listeners to give back to their community as they have.

“The motive is simple, it is love,” Highland graduate Helen Lea said, explaining their motive behind dedicating an entire summer to their music and volunteering.  “We love our community, which is why we want to give back and do something positive.”

The members of the MAD band put over 1,000 hours of practice into their music in order to put on an incredible and free show for members of their community.  Though there was not a price of admission, the band did ask for donations which would all go to the Volunteers of America Youth Resource Center, the organization they chose to help.

The VOA Youth Resource Center provides food, shelter, and assistance to homeless teens.  Their efforts to turn teens’ lives around allows them to provide help to around 800 kids each year.  Through helping kids get the education and counseling they may need, the VOA Youth Resource Center can shape the futures of many people in ways they couldn’t have dreamt of otherwise.

Brandt Graham (left) and Helen Lea (right), former Highland students, playing percussion instruments.

Through their religious inspired music, including two original songs, the MAD band has managed to raise $8,825.21 for the amazing organization in which they dedicated so much time to.