Highland Battles Olympus for Dominance in Region

Back to Article
Back to Article

Audra Welsch

Audra Welsch

Audra Welsch

Will Olsen, Sports Editor

The Highland Rams football team has had great season so far. It has started out 5-1, losing only to Pine View in their second game of the season. Since that game the Rams have been playing spectacular football. They beat the Lone Peak Knights who are known to have one of the best football programs creating a ripple effect in their play. The next two game were the first region games against the Skyline Eagles and the Murray Spartans. Both these games were not very close contests with Highland easily beating both of the teams.

This hot streak leads to one of Highland’s biggest games of the season. They will match up against the Olympus Titans On Friday, this is a very big game for both teams. The Titans have had an undefeated season both in region play and outside of it, and they are coming off a win against the Lehi Pioneers.

This is a big win for the Titans because the Pioneers were the region champions last year. Both teams are coming off positive wins and the result should be some very interesting football on Friday.

The wins by both teams have lead to them both being 2-0 in region. This means the winner will be in a very good position to win the region.

Last year Highland won their game against Olympus beating them 38-21. With not a super close game Olympus has to be disappointed by the result last year. The game that went down two years ago was a very boring game that ended in only an 8 point game all together. All though it was a very ugly game the Titans came out with the victory 5-3. Not only have these two experiences heated up the matchup but these athletes have been waiting for the chance to  play each other for a long time.

“Yeah I would think so (that the rivalry was made stronger) since we are the two big teams in the region and we have been playing each other since little league,” Senior Trevor Jones said.

This rivalry was already strong between these two schools and now it is growing even stronger by the day. The Rams will look to stay on top of the matchup. But by keeping it as simple and routine as possible.

“We approach every week the same,” Jones said. “Like we are going to get a tough team that wants to knock us off.”

The Highland team isn’t trying to do anything special and treat it just like any other game of the season. But there is stress on this game because both of these two teams are both very hopeful to become region champs this year, and both are in a good position to do it. Both of them have very good records and the game this week could be the difference between a region championship and second place.