The Rams Stalemate the Leopards

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Rams Stalemate the Leopards

Audra Welsch

Audra Welsch

Audra Welsch

Matthew Lloyd, Staff Writer

The setting for this game could not have been any bigger. The Highland High women’s soccer team facing their region rival East. Thursday night under the lights, fighting for playoff birth, and for the Highland seniors their last chance to beat east as they haven’t been able to in the past three years. The rams were hoping to improve the outcome from when they played East earlier in the season losing 2-0.

The game started out as a defensive battle as the game was scoreless through the first half as the ball was constantly switching sides of the field and continued into the first part of the second half. East was able to control the ball and it lead to a East goal by number 16 with 28 minutes left in regulation. You could feel the energy taken out of highland at this point, however highlands defense stood strong.

Highland fought for control of the ball and it was difficult to obtain but the Rams managed to do it. Highland freshman Bella Hicken scored off a penalty kick from thirty yards out kicking it right into the top left corner. The game was tied up with just over four minutes left in regulation, and all of the sudden Highland had some energy. They controlled the ball for the majority of the last four minutes attempting a few more shots on goal but not being successful.

As the score was tied overtime began and both teams were looking for the game winning goal. Overtime had a whole different feel as the crowd was into it, and the players were fighting for the victory. Both defenses tightened up as they knew that the next goal would mean the end of the game. Both teams were scoreless in overtime which meant on to the next overtime. The second over time only got more intense as both defenses tightened up holding each other scoreless. The final score for this rivalry game was a 1-1 tie. Unfortunately for the Rams that means that their play-off hopes are very slim. The Rams will face the best team in the region in a must win game next week against the Murray Spartans.