Highland falls to Olympus in Defensive Battle

Back to Article
Back to Article

Olympus and Highland struggle against each other

Audra Welsch

Audra Welsch

Audra Welsch

Will Olsen, Staff Writer

Friday night the Highland Rams matched up against the Olympus Titans in a region football game. The Rams struggled to find their offense the whole night and ended up losing the game by one point 12-13.

The game was very drawn out with many offensive drives ending in punts or turnovers for both teams. Olympus was able to strike first with a three yard run and completing the extra point to go up 7-0 in the second quarter with a lot of time left. After that score the game continued on like it had been going stops by both defenses not allowing the other team points.

At the end of the first half the Rams were on the 27 yard line looking to get on the board before the half ended. It ran a play and quarterback Trajan Benson made a beautiful throw over Jackson Hawes’s shoulder and he caught it for the touchdown to get six points on the board. But the Rams were unable to complete the extra point so it went into halftime at a deficit of one point 6-7.

The second half had no difference in it as both teams had a struggle finding the endzone in both of the last quarters. The third quarter was scoreless for both teams this meant there was a one point gap and one quarter to play.

In the fourth quarter with 9:27 left in the quarter the Rams were able to punch it into the endzone on a 1-yard run by Benson. This lead to a two point conversion opportunity that Highland tried a little trickery by giving it to Bronson Olevao and he threw it to Benson but Benson was taken down before he could get into the endzone.

This meant the Rams were up 12-7 and there was 9:27 left to play. The Titans got the ball and they took a long time having up to a five minute ended in an interception. Highland was unable to capitalize on this turnover and were forced to give the ball back to Olympus. Olympus then took the ball and drove down the field and were within striking distance. Olympus scored on a 3-yard run with 52 seconds left in the game and went up 13-12. They elected to go for two to try to get a three point lead, but this attempt was stopped by Highland.

Highland now had the ball with 52 seconds left and only one timeout. The Rams had to get in field goal range to try and get Rex Graham an attempt at a game winning field goal. But with how little time was left they had to differ from there run heavy offense and throw the ball. But pressure from the Olympus defense forced two incompletions and one 5-yard catch. Fourth down and Highland had to go for it they snapped the ball that didn’t end up in Benson’s hands and that ended the game.

To both teams this game was more than just a rivalry but a game that is going to matter a lot in who ends up being the number one seed out of the region. Highland plays the Lehi Pioneers next week and will look to bounce back from this disappointing loss to their division rivals.