Becoming Homecoming King Was A Pleasant Surprise For Quarterback Bronson Olevao

Bronson+Olevao+%28fourth+from+the+left%29+poses+for+pictures+with+his+mom+and+all+the+other+royalty++during+Thursdays+Homecoming+assembly.+

Grace Ojewia

Bronson Olevao (fourth from the left) poses for pictures with his mom and all the other royalty during Thursday’s Homecoming assembly.

Grace Ojewia, News Editor

For quarterback and senior Bronson Olevao, being crowned homecoming king was an unexpected but pleasant surprise. He had alumni friends who had been given the same distinction in previous years and felt honored to receive it himself.

“I wasn’t expecting to win, but it was a good experience.,” Olevao said. “I was nervous, but it was good and I am grateful.”

Olevao has been playing football and basketball since his freshman year. He was previously a running back and played a lot of defense and he was switched to quarterback just this last week. It has been difficult doing both sports as he would have to have to jump right into the conditioning and practices for basketball as soon as football ended.

Playing sports has been a big part of his life. He has been playing both football and basketball since he was little and he has enjoyed playing for Highland.

“Playing football for the past four years has really changed my life,” Olevao said. “It has really changed my mindset and how I go about with the community here and how I go about in school. I’ve learned a lot about accountability and being part of a team. It has helped me be successful in the classroom and on the team.”

Olevao admits that blancing sports with school has been hard, but it has helped him become a focused and committed person in the responsibilities he has. Being a new quarterback, he has had to learn everything about the position and how to direct the team’s offensive play.

He plans on playing a sport in college and is leaning toward playing football. With the big homecoming game coming up he is focusing on going out there with the team and going for a win.

“I’m just trying to cherish every moment I have. It’s senior year and everything that is going on is my last,” Olevao said. “So, I just want to enjoy my senior year and enjoy my time with the boys and just try and win this homecoming game.”

With all the excitement and pressure of the game on his shoulders and that of the team, being named homecoming king put the icing on the cake to an eventful week.