Rams Tie Titans in Region Opener

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rams Tie Titans in Region Opener

Highland's Owen Ross dribbles the ball up the field during the game against Olympus.

Noah Herridge

Noah Herridge

Noah Herridge

Peach Schilling, Staff Writer

The Highland Rams faced the Olympus Titans for their region opening game and held them back for a final tie with no goals made from either side.

Heading into the game, the Rams were hopeful they could pull out their first win of the season. Knowing Olympus had a good reputation, they knew it was going to be hard to achieve.

James Stoddart, senior captain of the team this year knew that the Titans were going to put up a fight for the scoreboard.

“We were a little worried,” Stoddart said. “But we also felt pretty good knowing what we had done at practice and all the work we had put in.”

The two teams ran up and down the field, passed the ball back and forth, but only took few shots on goal. With ten minutes left in the first half, Olympus had a clear chance to score and take the lead.

Highland keeper, Ben Hight, blocked the shot and took the team into halftime.

“As the game went on, we started playing really well,” Stoddart said. “I knew we had the chance to win or tie.”

The second half of the game was full of methodical plays, yellow cards , fouls, and “flops.” The students and parents in the stands were getting rowdy as the score stayed at 0-0 to the end of the game.

“Golden goal” overtime would proceed and the referees declared that the first team to score would win the game. The Titans almost had it with a shot that hit the rim of the goal. Highland’s players held them back for the entire 20 minutes of game play and celebrated with the tie.

“After the game it was a great feeling of having tied,” Stoddart said. “Most of our goals for the season are looking for end results and keeping up our hard work.”

Catch the Highland Rams on their home soccer field this Tuesday, April 9th at 3:30 PM as they face the East High Leopards.