Highland Shutout in Rivalry

Will Olsen

Senior James Stoddart throws the ball in.

Will Olsen, Sports Editor

On Tuesday April 9th Highland faced off against East in boys soccer. Highland was coming off a 0-0 tie against the Olympus team in which both teams played rock solid defense. Highland came into the game against East hoping to do the same thing. This game did not end up the way they wanted as they fell to their rival 0-3.

The first half was looking a lot like the Olympus game each team shutting down the others offense. Very few shots were taken on goal and the shots that were taken were blocked by the goalies. It seemed like each team knew what the other was going to do before they even knew. This led to a 0-0 score until the very end of the half, when East got about three quarters of the way down the field and got a foul called and got a penalty kick outside the box. The guy lined up and kicked it off the crossbar and into the goal and they went into the half up 1-0.

After that goal it seemed to take the wind out of Highland’s sails. Although thy were trying their best they couldn’t seem to get anything going on the offensive side of the field so the ball was predominantly on their side of the field. This meant that Highland was playing constant defense and they couldn’t keep that up for very long, they got scored on once about half way through the second half and then again at the end of the game.

The final result ended up being 0-3 for East. Highland didn’t get the result they wanted but they were always working hard to try and get back into the game.

“Even though we got scored on we know that we have the skill and ability to come back and stay in it,” said sophomore Jake Ker.

Highland will keep up this attitude of hard work going into the next game against West, and throughout all of their region play.