Joshua Bott

Owen Knight, Staff Writer

Joshua Bott is one of the most genuine people at Highland High but in his life he has done some things way out of character but never on purpose. Bott has been this bright his whole life impressing just about everyone he greets. But there was a time his Sophomore year where he hurt someone. Bott wrestled his freshman and sophomore year as a way just to have fun and stay in shape. During one of his practices he accidently kicked Coach Sierer in the face. Everyone went quiet as Sierer held his nose and checked for blood, it was in fact bleeding. Bott felt very embarrassed but knowing his coach was fine comforted him. That type of experience was something that put Bott out of his comfort zone because of his caring and humble character.

“I’ve always been the type of person that finds joy in helping other people”, Bott explains, “In order to change the world we start by being kind to others”.

Bott’s intelligence and maturity has always shown while he grew up.

“When Joshua played with Legos, he let his imagination take control. He just needed an image or an idea and he would build it. During those moments he would demonstrate his ingenuity and creativity,” Bott’s father Benjamin said.

Bott has always had small things to help grow his brain. When he was younger he would build Lego masterpieces but now he solves Rubik’s cubes as fast as possible. This has always been something Bott does in his spare time and is great for the brain. These are huge things that contribute to him being so patient and mature through solving puzzles and letting his mind take over. All of his experiences as a child have built him to be able to win a Sterling Scholar Award in the category of Social Sciences. This is a prestigious award that very few people have the title of for their resumes.

The small things in Bott’s youth have all added to help him in academics. Bott knew he couldn’t have achieved what he has without his parents and teachers.

“Definitely Mr. Bracken. He has always been the one to answer my questions throughout high school,” Bott said.

Bott’s parents have also always been there to support him but never necessarily pushed him to achieve what he has.

“We haven’t pushed him to excel. He has acted himself and we’ve supported him through all his endeavors. We gave him a foundation of principles and provided him with the necessities in order to succeed,” Bott’s mother Veronica said.

But intelligence isn’t the main part in achieving what he has. For Bott it is more about his attitude. It has always been his willingness to serve and uplift others that has lead him to pursue social sciences.

“Caring. He thinks about others before thinking about himself. He enjoys serving others,” Mrs. Bott said.

These are tough things to do and service is a great way to change the world. Joshua Bott is a great example of how attitude and hard work can lead to great things.