Coach Benson Says Goodbye

Maggie Lea

Brody Benson coaching at a home game versus Timpview in 2018.

Peach Schilling, Editor-In-Chief

In a year marked with uncertainty due to COVID-19, wondering if games were going to be played each week or if Highland was even going to have enough players to field a full team at times, one constant always existed on the Highland sideline — head coach Brody Benson.

But after nearly 19 years with Highland High School and its football program, including 15 as the head coach, Benson has resigned, effective immediately. 

His last football season came to a close after a close 33-28 loss to Spanish Fork on Oct. 23, but no one expected that this would be his last with the Rams. Benson emailed the Highland staff on the morning of Tuesday, Jan. 26 sending his best wishes to his many coworkers in a short paragraph.

“Thank you for the time you have spent in your dedication to Highland Football,” Benson wrote. “As I leave Highland, I will take many great memories.”

Benson has been the head coach at Highland since the 2006 football season. In his time, Benson became the winningest coach in school history, including a state championship in 2010. His time with the Rams has been nothing but memorable, but Benson knows that his time has come for a fresh start. 

There has only been one other time that Benson has applied for another position during his time at Highland, but he has now taken one that sounded both appealing and refreshing. Benson will continue his passion of working with young student-athletes as the new head coach at Woods Cross High School. Ed Lloyd and other assistant coaches will join him. 

“This decision has been the hardest decision that I’ve ever had to make, especially professionally,” Benson said. “I feel like I am ready for a new chapter. I applied and I am excited for the challenges that are in front of me.”

Junior and player under Benson Maea Giles recognizes what Benson strives for everyday. 

“Coach B was a man with one goal each day, which was to get better and be better than you were yesterday,” Giles said. “He had high standards for his players and always wanted the best for us.”

Benson’s teams have always been known to be hard-nosed and physical. Although his personality matches this same energy, Benson also oversaw early-morning study halls, had the team participate in community service projects, and mentored them in life beyond high school.

Benson believes that it is time to work hard and strive for success within himself, and that is why he believes the resignation and move to Woods Cross was the right decision. 

The Highland community will forever remember Benson and the many things he has done for not only the football program, but for the school.

“I am going to miss his pre-game speeches. They were always exactly what the team needed,” junior Ashton Zwick said. “It’s going to be pretty different [without him], but I’m excited to get to know the new coaching staff.”

Assistant Coach and defensive coordinator for the past four years Kautai Olevao has stepped up as Highland’s new head coach and is excited to continue working with the players and building the current program.

The popular saying within the walls of Highland, “once a Ram, always a Ram,” will resonate with Benson as he takes what he has learned over the past 19 years with him to Woods Cross.

“This has been my home, and everything that I associate with is being a Highland Ram,” Benson said. “I am going to take a lot of Highland with me. It has made me and it has been a great run.”