Highland Rambler

The student news site of Highland High School in Salt Lake City, Utah

Highland Rambler

Highland Rambler

Rams Sink Cyprus Pirates’ Defense and Win Their First Home Game

%2311+Maka+Fiefia+leaps+above+Cyprus+defense%2C+catching+the+ball+
Spencer Baese
#11 Maka Fiefia leaps above Cyprus defense, catching the ball

On August 18th, the Rams kickoff their season with home opener against the Cyprus Pirates, a team they lost to just last year. 

Going into this game, nerves and emotions were high, especially considering their last faceoff with the Pirates. Additionally, if the Rams won this game, it would be the first time since 2019 that the team had started with consecutive wins.  

The Rams went into this game prepared, especially with their history and knowledge of Cyprus’ playing style.  

During practices this week, the linemen narrowed in on ways they would stop their mans from progressing down the field. 

“On the defensive side, there was a lot of run stoppage [techniques we focused during practice],” senior lineman Kaas Bloxham said. 

Offensively, too, the team needed to figure out ways to find success on the field. 

Senior wide receiver Jeremiah Jimoh noted that practices were conducted with more energy and intensity to carry over to the game Friday night. 

“[We’ve focused on] faster practice speed and more reps. This week we had an emphasis on practicing like we’re playing in a game,” Jimoh said.  

When Friday night came, the Rams were ready to take down the Pirates.   

The game started off quickly, with Highland gaining first down after first down right from the kickoff. The Rams rapidly found holes in the Pirates defense and ran routes through them.  

With a minute left in the first quarter, Jimoh was pitched the ball by Pala. He quickly broke away from the cluster of players and started sprinting down the field. With Jimoh’s speed, he easily beat the Pirates defense, passing defender after defender, until he eventually sprinted past the safety and made his way down to the endzone. His run was 90-yards, leaving the quarter with a score of 7-0 for Highland. 

Junior quarterback Manasa Pala felt that this touchdown was what got the team rolling, giving him and his teammates confidence that they were going home with a win that night. 

“I think we had them beat since the beginning of the game, but when Jimoh had the long touchdown, that’s when I knew [we had them] for sure,” Pala said.  

Pala has a deeper history with the Pirates than the Rams, being one of their quarterbacks just last season. Switching schools put more pressure on him to succeed. During this game, he was able to prove his transfer to his teammates by defeating his old school. 

“It’s different playing against them, but it was fun playing with all the different kids here. Playing against my old friends [was exciting],” Pala said.  

Second quarter, Cyprus was able to find an open player and connect an easy pass, leading to a score of 7-6 for the Rams. In this quarter, Highland ran the ball less and Pala started looking to throw more to his open teammates.  

Junior wide receiver Maka Fiefia’s caught a sharp ball from Pala in the endzone, giving the Rams a more confident lead.  

“Keeping high energy [helped us tonight],” Fiefia said. 

Pala even switched up the playing-style during this quarter, confusing the Pirate defense with a run rather than a throw, giving him an open route directly into the endzone. Halftime began at 21-6 for Highland. 

Third quarter, junior wide receiver Charlie McConkie helped the Rams ever further when beating the Pirates’ defense and running into the endzone. Cyprus quickly countered it, breaking through chaos and running down line, bringing the score 28-12.  

The game got more chaotic, though, when in the third quarter, Highland faced penalty after penalty preventing two additional touchdowns for the Rams.  

The last touchdown of the game was scored by senior wide receiver Siosefa Brown, after a quick, short toss from Pala. For Highland, this play gave the team an easy, walk-in touchdown.  

Defensively, too, the Rams were doing their part throughout the game. Bloxham locked down his defense throughout the game, preventing runs from any of the Pirates. 

“Focusing on which man we had and not losing track of them [helped us defensively tonight],” Bloxham said.  

The final score was 35-12 for the Rams, making their record so far 2-0.  

Keeping up a no-loss record is going to be difficult for the Rams throughout their season, with challenging competition like West and Alta that Highland will need to outsmart to win.  

“[We’re] trying to minimize our mistakes, because when we go against schools like [tough region ones], it’s going to be a harder [game] than versus the teams we’re playing now,” Pala said.  

The team feels better about their team’s chemistry this year, and they are more confident about the upcoming region games.  

“We’re more of a team this year. There’s a better brotherhood this year,” Jimoh said.  

The team has spent hours together each day, perfecting routes and tightening defenses, but, more importantly, strengthening their team dynamic. 

Captains Brown, Max Erickson, Grant Starks, and Taione Vea have set the tone for the season, demanding and expecting hard work from the rest of their teammates.  

“Our leadership has gotten a lot better. We’ve got a lot of good leaders,” Fiefia said. “I feel like everyone wants it a little bit more this year. Everyone’s having a lot more fun.” 

The Rams hope to continue their winning streak throughout the season, using this win as motivation to win their next game and games after that.  

“[We’re] just keeping the momentum going win after win. Next week, we’re going to get another win against Green Canyon and just keep going from there,” Bloxham said.