Highland Rambler

The student news site of Highland High School in Salt Lake City, Utah

Highland Rambler

Highland Rambler

Classy Cakes

Classy+Cakes
Red Gunn

From sweets to salty treats Highland’s baking and cooking classes have made many different food items. Discovering the tips and tricks to cooking and making scrumptious desserts. They make multiple desserts in the baking and pastry class such as danishes, eclairs, and a crème brulee.

They also create many skills such as food safety and sanitation, decorating skills, and creativity with meals and desserts. They work on these different plates of food throughout the semester and work with different people to bake their pastries.

During the end of the semester, each class is split up into separate groups of about three people per group and create a cake.

The groups all build flavors that they find from the website called Cakes by Courtney and try to use their creative side in the kitchen to put together a cake, butter cream, and a filling. A challenge to this project is time management.

With a total of 5 class periods, they oversee baking the cakes with a total of three tiers, stacking them, making a buttercream, and inserting an even amount of filling between the cake layers.

Skiby’s pride about this project is how it is all student led. Once they pick their flavors Skiby goes to the store and buys all the supplies and is after that hands off. The students decide how they spend their time, how to divide the project evenly amongst themselves, and to make it pretty.

The cakes always turn out beautiful and delicious. With elegant designs and heavenly flavors that just melt in your mouth.

“Pretty people, pretty cakes,” Skiby said.

If the students put in effort and creativity, the cakes will turn out to be beautiful. With gorgeous decorations that make the cake extra appealing.

Multiple groups created cakes with flavors that included chocolate, orange, and raspberry. As students learn how to mix and mingle different textures and tastes they learn how to combine recipes to create mouthwatering meals.

Addie Diamond, a sophomore at Highland, enjoys every minute of Skiby’s class. Right now, she is taking the baking and pastry class and just finished her cake project. She loved how it was a student led assignment and was able to learn so much.

Diamond loves baking but this was the first time she had been able to build a cake from scratch with flavors that she had been able to pick herself. She and her group made a strawberry cake with a chocolate cheesecake feeling and coconut butter cream. They designed their cake with three layers also known as tiers and put fresh strawberries on the top of their cake adding an artistic finish.

“I love Skiby’s class,” Diamond said, “it’s my favorite part of the week and allows me to have a mental break during school.”