Highland Rambler

The student news site of Highland High School in Salt Lake City, Utah

Highland Rambler

Highland Rambler

Garner Just Gets IT

Nicolas Garner uses IT skills to secure Sterling Scholar
Billie Martinez & Red Gunn
Highland’s 2023-2024 computer technology Sterling Scholar winner

Computer science is the technology of the future given that the new developments this science has allowed are incomparable. It has offered a new career spectrum, causing computer science to be an important and necessary skill.

Highland senior Nicolas Garner plans on riding the technological wave.

“Computer science is such a useful tool to be able to accomplish things you wouldn’t otherwise be able to do such as automating stuff and just doing cool things in general,” Highland senior Nicolas Garner said.

Garner, Highland’s 2023-24 computer technology Sterling Scholar winner, began his computer science journey by coding for Minecraft, which developed into running several websites and game servers. Though he does not play much anymore, this game jumpstarted a successful career for Garner at an early age.

Last school year, Garner took an intern position in the Highland athletics office doing IT work, and then moved on to doing IT for the Salt Lake City government for the past eight months. He’s now a supervisor…a position he earned before a high school diploma.

“When I started out in the city, I was an intern,” Garner said. “When all of the other interns that came on with me got released, I stayed on, and I took a supervisor role to train and supervise the next round of interns.”

Garner’s consistent performance has allowed him to take on a leadership role at his work and accomplish great feats within this field. Outside of working for the city, he is currently working at refurbishing technology, then reselling it on eBay. He has also done a couple of online businesses.

Garner’s passion for computer science is very visible and his dedication has empowered the community around him. This includes one of his closest friends, Highland senior, Lilli Durham.

“Nick likes to use his passion for computer science not only for business, but to help other people,” Highland senior Lilli Durham said. “He is a very hard worker, and I knew he would be a good fit for sterling scholar.”

But despite Garner’s impressive resume, he almost did not apply for Sterling Scholar. He did not think that he would get it, but he took the chance, and it paid off.

“In life, you’ve just got to take the little things and go for it, even if you don’t think you’re going to get them,” Garner said.

The computer science industry is ever evolving and requires a certain level of dedication. Durham, one of Nick’s closest friends, has observed Garner’s passion firsthand.

“Nick is a very smart and caring person who is going to use his passion for computer science to do great things for people and go far in the future,” Durham said. “He has worked very hard to get to where he is now, and I’m glad he is getting the recognition he deserves.”

Beyond computer science, Garner is the percussion captain at Highland. Being percussion captain means Garner must take on the role of both a member of the drumline and the student leader of the percussion section. Highland’s drumline performs at both games and assemblies and is a key part of leading the student section helping to establish a zealous school spirit.

This has allowed him to take on a mentor position for the younger students and become incredibly involved in the school. He is involved in community service too, which has enabled him to strengthen these qualities.

As just a senior in high school, Garner has accomplished several impressive feats, and with his drive, there is no doubt this success will continue into his future.