Sweeney Todd Killin’ Their Way To Broadway

Meira Clifford

Gello Avila and Ceci Andrews star in Highlands performance of Sweeney Todd

Lucia Miramontes, Staff Writer

Among our fellow student body at Highland High walks some of the best high school actors in Utah. The hard hitting performance of Sweeney Todd did not only leave our school in awe but Utah Festival of Opera & Musical as well.

UFOMT will sponsor the Fifth Annual Utah High School Musical Theater Awards in 2015, a musical theatre program that rewards excellence at a high school level. During the 2014-2015 school year, representatives from UFOMT traveled across Utah to judge high school plays. Nominated schools will perform on Saturday, May 9, 2015 at the Kent Concert Hall in Logan, Utah, winners will be announced then. The winner of Best Actress and Best Actor will be sent to New York to participate in the National High School Musical Theater Awards. The winners will have the opportunity to work with industry professionals in preparation for a one-night-only showcase at The Jimmy Awards on Broadway.

The nominations were awarded to Gello Avila for best actor, Ceci Andrew for best actress, Zoe Smoot for best supporting actress, Harrison Lind for best supporting actor, and Georgia Peterson for best cameo appearance for the Sweeney Todd performance.

“I’m super proud of everyone in Sweeney and my fellow nominees” Avila said.

Rehearsing after school for hours on end to developing such deep characters and strong voices truly perfected the play.

“I honestly think Ceci and Gello have a really good chance because they are both so talented” Peterson said.

Guidance from the new theater teacher, Mrs. Price, brought a new level of performance at Highland High. The entire cast agreed that this was the best Musical showcased throughout their years here. Highland wishes the best of luck to the nominees at the Utah Musical Theater Awards in May.