Schulte Leaves Highland For District Job

Jacob Romney, Editor in Chief

Highland’s Paul Schulte will be taking leave of absence after eleven years of service as a high school principal. On Monday, December 15, an unexpected resignation at the district resulted in a job opening, a position that will now be filled by Schulte. The position, primarily responsible for everything not related to actual teaching, oversees district and school buildings and facilities. An administrator for a total of 17 years, the first six in Wichita, Kansas and the final 11 in Salt Lake at Highland, Schulte’s entire career has revolved around students and kids, a drastic difference between his job now and the position he will be taking.

“I love it here,” Schulte said. “For me this is much more than a job. I love being around the kids and so part of me is worried about the separation I’ll have in this new position.”

Although somewhat troubled by this change, Schulte made clear his intention to be a team player. Never intending on being an administrator for his entire career, Schulte knows the experience found in his new district position can open doors to more opportunities, hopefully in a position as superintendent.

With Schulte leaving, acting principal for the remainder of the year will be current assistant principal, Chris Jenson. Important to note however, this position is not set in stone for the future, for either individual. The new change in position will be reevaluated following the end of the school year, however Schulte guesses he will most likely not return to the halls of Highland as an administrator, but feels confident in the ability of current administrators moving forward.

“This school is in great hands with Mr. Jenson and the administrative team,” Schulte said. “The district had a need and I am always a big believer in being a team player, trying to do what’s better for the greater good.”