A New Face, New Style Leads Highland As Boyce Takes Over

Ali Palmer, Staff Writer

The whistle screeches. Another lap. Another shot. Another bead of sweat running down the face of each player. They are working harder than ever – and they better get used to it.

Coach Jim Boyce has begun his first year as head coach of the Highland Rams men’s basketball team. He has been coaching for 16 years, holding positions at Olympus, Copper Hills, West Jordan, Park City and Taylorsville.

“I feel like I am giving something back, and really helping out the high school kids,” Boyce said.

Boyce played high school basketball at Olympus high. Inspiring and influential coaches in high school as well as a love for history led him to his current position at Highland high as both a coach and history teacher.

Boyce is married to his wife of 15 years, Heather, and together they have four children. A dedicated husband and father, he has coached his children in both little league football and soccer. Heather can tell her husband really cares about his Highland players, a quality he carries over from coaching his boys in little league.

“He is very excited, he says there is a really good feel at Highland,” Heather said.

While he has enjoyed coaching both his high school boys and his boys at home, he has noticed a different atmosphere. It is a different experience coaching for his children’s teams.

The new position has come with a busy schedule, but it has great payoffs. It has been an incredible learning experience for Boyce, according to his wife.

“I think that it has helped him really understand how complicated the sport of basketball is, and how much work goes into helping the kids not only physically, but mentally and emotionally,” Heather said.

One important contribution Boyce has already brought to the team is an intense work ethic.

“He is a hard worker, he is dedicated and wants to win,” senior Spencer Divver said. “He has got us in great shape; he pushes us to the limit.”

Divver has noticed an increase in the intensity and commitment required to be part of the team. The players were hard at work during the off-season, a new aspect to the team’s training. It is important that the boys are in excellent shape with the new defensive style for the team: full court press. Summer practices consisted of intense cross-fit training to prepare, where the players do pushups, sit-ups, wall-sits, jump-ropes, and run bleachers. There is a significant increase overall in the amount of running during workouts.

Boyce does not just push the players, however, he shows them how it is done. He could be spotted during the offseason working out alongside his players.

“I think we have started to work a lot harder than we did before,” junior Ryan Lambson said.

Lambson has noticed a lot more conditioning as well as higher expectations when it comes to work ethic. He explained that Boyce brings with him a different coaching style than previous coach Keith West, and thinks it fits the team well.

Both Lambson and Divver have high hopes for the upcoming season, and great confidence in the ability of the team. They believe they are better than last year and a tough competitor in the region, and Lambson says the entire coaching staff believes the team can win the state title.

In addition to coaching, Boyce teaches history at Highland and has Lambson in one of his classes. Boyce enjoys teaching him, and says he is a great student. Lambson is also an example of the way Boyce helps his players as they plan for the future.

“We have meetings all the time about college scholarships and what I am going to do after high school, so he really tries to get me to play basketball after high school,” Lambson said.

When it comes to goals for the season, the team is settling for nothing less than the best. Both players and coaches are confident in the skill and ability of the team. The rams lost two of their leading scorers to graduation, so players like Lambson and Divver will need to step up to lead the team. Senior Brandon Warr is expected to carry much of the workload with help from other seniors such as Spencer Moncur, Max Wilson and Brandon Jones. Juniors Brevin Elsholz and Rick Schmidt will also play significant roles.

“I think we have the talent to compete for a region championship,” Boyce said.

The grueling work ethic and high goals set for the season have players excited, and Highland High is ready to see Boyce lead the team to a title.