Rams Slay Leopards in Region Opener

Nathan Roderick, Staff Writer

The annual “Freak East” basketball game was held this Tuesday, January 6. The Rams won by a fairly large margin, 75-51. Senior Brandon Warr and Junior Ryan Lambson led Highland as the team’s leading scorers. East was led by their 7 foot 3 inch center Mark Jackson who finished with 25 points.

The two teams went back and forth throughout the first half with neither leading by more than 5 points. East led by one at halftime but the Rams pulled away in the second half outscoring the Leopards 49-24.

East’s star Jackson got into foul trouble in the third quarter and Highland took advantage of his absence and stretched their lead to nine at the end of the period.

“We shared the ball really well and people stepped up and made big shots when we needed them, we played like we wanted it more than them,” Ryan Lambson said. Lambson finished the night with 19 points and a three-pointer in the fourth quarter to push away from the Leopards. The rams shot a remarkable 89.5% at the free throw line making 17 of their 19 attempts.

“Team defense is what won us the game. We never got lost in the atmosphere and utilized the mis-matches. We stayed composed and played as a team,” Brandon Warr said.

The game was put into Highland’s control for good after Warr made three 3-pointers in the fourth quarter that electrified the fans and crushed East’s hopes for a comeback.

Highland used their upbeat defense and pressured East that turned in to steals and easy transition buckets for the Rams.

“We know what we are capable of and this game was a huge confidence booster moving forward,” Brandon Warr said.

The Rams have lost this much-anticipated game the last three years in a row and the Rams, especially the seniors, wanted to make sure that didn’t happen again. Both student sections were full and dressed to impress making the atmosphere of this game and rivalry even more special.

“We had great support from the students and we appreciate it so much, it means the world to us,” Lambson said.

The Rams continue Region 6 play this Friday, January 9th @ Cyprus.