Ute Strong

Ute Strong

Nathan Roderick, Staff Writer

It looks like a weight watching session. Each person steps on the scale, has his weight recorded, and then given a specific dietary plan to reach his goal.

Every pound matters.

It may seem trivial to tell a 220 pound that he is three pounds overweight, but it matters at Utah.

Four years ago, the Utah basketball team won six games. Today the team is ranked in the Top 10 and in better physical shape than any of their opponents. Yes, each pound matters thanks to the work of Charles Stephenson.

So far this season, the No. 8 Runnin’ Utes have been living up to expectations and they control their destiny in the competitive PAC-12 Conference. Players are currently in top shape and aren’t stopping now.

Their physical condition is built upon hours of practice as well as a through a strength and conditioning program that is tailored to meet the needs of each individual player.  What the fans see on the court is the result of an accomplished and passionate coaching staff, which includes the expertise and knowledge of coach Charles Stephenson.

Charles Stephenson is the strength and conditioning coach for the University of Utah basketball team. During the offseason, he is in charge of helping players become bigger, stronger and faster and during season play to be in top physical condition. A major part of Stephenson’s job is the nutrition of his players, which includes what they eat and drink, as well as their vitamin intake. For instance, before practice Stephenson weighs each player and gives them a multivitamin. These multivitamins are different for each player and based on their individual needs. He also makes sure the players are hydrated and sufficiently fueled. Then, he conducts the player’s warm up exercises and assists coaches in basketball specific drills. After practice he weighs the players again and makes sure each player drinks 20 oz. of fluid and eats some type of protein for recovery. He is also in charge of team meals, which includes analyzing menus and meal plans to ensure they provide his players the nutrients they need.

“We try to do everything we can to help the athletes perform at their best. Nutrition is a big part of that equation,” Stephenson said.

Another part of Stephenson’s job includes player rehabilitation. For instance, if a player cannot practice because he is suffering from an injury, during practice, Stephenson will put him through a workout on cardio and weight training machines that are designed to make his weak or injured muscles stronger.

One of the most important periods of Stephenson’s job takes place during the offseason, especially during the summer and early fall before the season starts. He puts his players through rigorous weight lifting programs and helps players reach the physical personal and team goals they have set for themselves during the offseason. For example, in September of 2014, Stephenson invited the Marines to conduct the training of his players for a few days. All of the exercises the players did required teamwork and the team suffered if one player was doing too much or too little. This taught the players that they can’t do anything without the help of their teammates.

“The exercises helped them realize the importance of working together. We put the players under extreme conditions of stress and they found out they can always do

more,” Stephenson said.

The players were also put into uncomfortable situations where they had water and sand all over their bodies. The players were pushed to their limits but the coaches and players recognize what this sort of training taught them.

Stephenson began his career at the University of Virginia where he began to study business and economics but he was intrigued with training and exercise. He then studied exercise science as an undergrad and eventually was a graduate assistant at Virginia. He was a full time assistant strength coach for the University and was over multiple sports. He found an opening at North Carolina State and was the head strength coach for basketball. After 15 years Stephenson saw an opening at the University of Utah and has been here for 3 years.

“The best part of this job is helping players reach their goals on and off the court,” Stephenson said.

The exercise industry is growing rapidly and it is critical for Stephenson to be on top of the latest equipment and technology so his players can have every advantage on the court. In the summer of 2015 there will be a new Basketball Center on campus that will be full of the latest and greatest technology including a new weight room, exercise pools, a track and new offices and locker rooms for coaches and players. Stephenson will benefit greatly from this 35 million dollar project.

Highland has a high caliber weight training facility and expert coaching and conditioning staff members.  Athletes in all sports benefit from the equipment as well as the coach’s care and knowledge.

The Highland Football team employed Coach Ed Lloyd for this purpose.

“The mission of Highland’s strength and conditioning program is to promote growth and development, physically and mentally. To teach proper technique, offer sound nutritional information and ensure durability and injury prevention. We will provide our student athletes with the means to train with intensity, commitment,

desire, and discipline while instilling teamwork throughout,” Lloyd said.

Furthermore, students who are interested in pursuing a career in physical therapy or sports specific training have a wealth of CTE classes from which to choose.  The CTE program at Highland is dedicated to combining both the academic and technical aspects of learning in the health sciences field. Once a career goal in health sciences is identified students have the opportunity to participate in classroom experience, work-based learning and career planning.  For many students, success as a health care professional begins at Highland High School.

More and more athletic programs are hiring athletic trainers as conditioning clearly effects athletes’ performance. As the Utah basketball team has learned, every pound matters as much as any shot.