A Fall Concert Success

Sarah Cascallar, Junior Editor

A still room with a muffled cough awaits a signal form the director. Arms fly up  and the stage bursts forth with the agitating the notes of Afterburn, by Brian Balmages. Down go the arms and Highland’s Fall Concert has begun.

Family, friends and fellow students piled into the auditorium on Wednesday October 28th to enjoy a beautiful selection of music. Highland’s Annual Fall Concert features students from the String Orquestra, the Symphony Orquestra and the Concert Band.

Students work long and hard throughout the term to be able to perform the pieces gracefully. The director, Curtis Black explains that the students work very hard to overcome the challenges that come with each song.

“[One of the biggest challenges] is making sure that they are rehearsing at an appropriate pace so that they can be prepared for concert day” Black said.

The cloudy  day was offset by the student’s devotion to performance, which shone through in the beautifully played pieces.

One performer stood out, playing a solo during the Symphony’s second performance, Dreaming, by Brian Balmages. Emma Lund is a very talented violin player, occupying first chair in the Chamber orquestra.

“[Emma Lund] is the concert master. She is doing great in her role” Black said.

Performers, parents and students alike had a very enjoyable night. Beautiful and upbeat music was played, ending the night with theme music from the movie The Incredibles.

“When I can tell that my students have had a good experience, then I have a good experience” Black said.

If you want to enjoy a fun and musical night, make sure to attend Highland’s next concert, an experience you are sure not to forget.