Let’s Go Clubbing: Clash of Clubs Preview

Clash of Clubs Team Breakdown

Parker Smith, Staff Writer

The annual HAM and HAW assembly is a focal point of the year where the day is shortened for assembly schedule and there is a battle between boys and girls. This year however, Student Government decided to put a spin on the competition. The assembly has been reconfigured into the “Clash of the Clubs” which will be held in the gym tomorrow. Many questions have been asked from students and competitors alike regarding the new system, so here are some answers. This years’ set up will be at a totally different level of competition, with actual teams split up and a point system in play, much like the Spirit Bowl.

Nearly the entire club population at Highland has been separated into four teams that should all have the same amount of participants. Some of the competitions include an egg roulette and several different relay races. Here’s an overview of each team and the clubs that make them up:

TEAM 1: The dominant force that HAM (Highland Associated Men) is should keep this team in the hunt especially while being led by President Eian Brightwell and Secretary EJ Spence. It’s rumored that they will also be bringing out their traditional dance for the festivities. With HAW also being in the competition you can assume that the men will be bringing their best.

TEAM 2: Sitting on the opposite side of the boys will be HAW (Highland Associated Women) keeping up the noise. Lead by President Ellie Johnson and her sidekicks Katya Malavich and Aspen Brady the girls look to pose quite the threat while flying under the radar. Expect the ladies to bring their A-game along with the skills to make this an epic battle of the clubs.

TEAM 3: This is the first team to contain multiple student clubs so they should offer variety over different competitions. It’s clear that this squad has the language advantage containing French, German, and Drama clubs. They also seem to have an edge in the athletic department with Water Polo, Kite club, Lacrosse, Rugby, and Kendama club who will perform well in a fast paced relay-type environment. But don’t worry about injury as HOSA (Health Occupation Students of America) will be standing by.  There could also be a possible hack of the point counting system by the Jedi Junkies and the Programming club. Whatever the type of activity, it’s obvious that team 3 has the ability to put up points.

TEAM 4: For a team that contains so many gaming clubs, it’s hard to think that they will be able to keep up in the relays. However, they still have the Enduro club, Ultimate Frisbee, and the Hiking club so running should not be a problem. With no shortage of support coming from Pep club this team will be working with a sixth man from the sideline.

The new environment that student government has created out of this activity is sure to get your heart going and your fists pumping. So find your club and get in on the action in this classic Clash of the Clubs tournament.