2016 Presidential Reactions and Results

Hannah Henderson, Staff Writer

Early Wednesday morning, Highland students slowly made their way through the doors with baggy eyes and droopy shoulders. Several different emotions filled the students as they made their way to their first period class. The results of the 2016 Presidential election have left teachers and students either shocked, upset, or excited, but all seemed surprised.

The very long and late presidential election of 2016, which occurred on Tuesday night, has ended with Donald Trump as America’s 45th President. This outcome came to many people as a surprise due to the many polls that predicted Hillary Clinton as the winner of the election. Trump was elected as a businessman with no political experience which has left many Americans to present different reactions and emotions.

Highland High counselor and cheer adviser Karrie Jarratt is one who had strong feelings about the outcome of the election. Being a strong Republican, Jarratt was very happy with the outcome of Trump being elected as president.

“I don’t know that I was totally crazy about Donald Trump, he scares me a little bit,” Jarratt said, “but I’m very happy we got a Republican President.”

Jarratt then said that the debt in America is her largest concern. Because a Republican president was elected, she hopes for the dept will get lower so that future generations will be able to afford the things they need. But more than that, Jarratt wants to see harmony.

“We need to heal,” Jarratt said. “We need to work together. Everybody wants a better life for their children.”

Many other teachers and students at Highland had different feelings about the outcome, such as student Serjio Garcia. Being a larger fan of Clinton, Garcia was mad about the results of the election.

“I was mad.” Garcia said, “There’s nothing we can do about it.”

Like Garcia, Highland counselor Dean Collett explains that whoever is our President, we should support them and support what we currently have. Collett explains that we all have our individual opinions, but like Garcia said, we cannot change the results of the elections so all we can do is support what we have and hope for the best.

“It’s what we have,” Collett said. “And what we have to live with for four years.”

Highland history teacher Shaundra Pratt explains that she did not like either of the candidates because both people had many different things about them that made her nervous. Pratt believes that Americans should now be understanding of what they have and hold true to the values that they know. She believes that all of the branches in the government will work together and that citizens need to trust them. Pratt also goes on to explain that she feels that America should give Trump a chance.

“We should support the president that is in office as long as he makes good decisions.” Pratt said, “We should give him a chance and he might be awesome and if not then we have other branches to make sure that he is being awesome.”

No matter the outcome of the election or what will change within the next four years, one thing hasn’t changed. That is that everyone is overall tired and ready for the 2016 election to be over.