Highland Rambler

The student news site of Highland High School in Salt Lake City, Utah

Highland Rambler

Highland Rambler

Washed in Remembrance “Washes” Energy Over Highland Student Body

Guitarist+Jonah+Russell+thrills+the+crowd+with+a+head-banging+breakdown+at+Highlands+talent+show+on+January+26th.+
Billie Martinez
Guitarist Jonah Russell thrills the crowd with a head-banging breakdown at Highland’s talent show on January 26th.

Highland students were in for a treat as the band “Washed In Remembrance” made their way onto the stage during Highland’s Talent Show on January 26th.

Lead singer Truman McCool, bassist Fisher Grangroth, guitarist Jonah Russell, and drummer David Goodman have been working together for years, some members (McCool and Goodman) starting to play together as early as sixth grade.

Prior to the performance in front of their classmates, Washed In Remembrance has performed in front of Hillside middle school (where their band came together) and a few elementary schools. Highland’s student body, though, was the biggest crowd they’d played in front of.

“We had the dress rehearsals, and we practiced a lot before. So [we were] prepared, but there’s always nerves with anything it front of other people,” Russell said. “Once we got the first section of the first song down, I felt really proud of us.”

When the band started with the heavy guitars and quick beat, Highland knew they were due for an exciting performance.

But when McCool started with his vocals, Highland was completely shocked.

“It’s a common technique called a fry-scream. What it is, is it taps into a natural distortion, a sort of resonance in your voice then layer that with my singing voice,” McCool said. “So I can do [the scream] damage-free.”

Thrash metal is an overall aggressive and fast-beat music type, full of screaming—or what sounds like screaming—and heavy guitar.

It’s not super popular with high schoolers, but watching it live caught all of Highland’s attention.

“People might not like that kind of music, and I’m sure plenty of people don’t like the screaming and the breakdowns and stuff, but as long as we’re fun, people are going to have fun,” McCool said. “They might not like it, but they’re going to have fun.”

Surprisingly, the band spent was more concerned with their appearance during the show than the actual playing—they knew the playing would come easily, but making the performance lively was a worry.

“I was most nervous that we were going to sound good but look boring. So a lot of the practice was headbanging and all that,” Grangroth said.

When McCool and Russell came together to head-bang during a breakdown, Highland went wild.

The nerves the band felt before evaporated with all the energy and cheering in the auditorium.

“Once we got into the groove when we were actually playing, I think it went really well,” Russell said.

When the playing ended and the group exited the stage, a lot of energy left with them. The auditorium already missed the band’s unique sound.

“I felt bummed [when it ended]. I wanted it to keep going,” Grangroth said.

For Washed in Remembrance, their next event they’re preparing for is the Battle of the Bands in March.