FACS of Life Made Hall a Better Person

Jacob Boren, Staff Writer

Everyone that has met Ashley Hall knows that she is compassionate, generous and most of all patient. Ever since Ashley first began working with children, she knew that it was her passion. Her unique set of loving characteristics made her the perfect fit for the Family and Consumer Science program (“FACS”) at Highland High School. These one of a kind character traits are constantly put to the test as Ashley works in the preschool at Highland. Each day, Ashley feels fortunate to educate and inspire kids. Although 25 rowdy five-year-olds can be a lot to handle at times, Hall takes the challenge head on. While others may have completed the same courses, it is Hall’s dedication to the children that sets her apart from others.

“I love working with children,” Hall says. “They bring me so much joy and happiness whenever I am around them.”

Teachers always say that they learn more from their students than the students learn from them. Working with these kids has helped Hall in ways she never would have imagined. What once was a fear of teaching a group of children, is now one of her greatest strengths. Having to plan lessons that capture the attention of an entire classroom full of rambunctious toddlers can be intimidating. However, with the help of caring mentors including a mother that teaches the fourth grade, and lots of practice it became second nature.

These experiences have helped her in the classroom and in life. Hall has learned to step out of her comfort zone and put herself out there for the benefit of others. Hall’s involvement with teaching has inspired her to come out of her shell and feel more comfortable in getting to know and understand others.

“I am so lucky to have had this opportunity.” Hall said. “I have learned so much about myself and about teaching. These experiences will help me throughout the rest of my life.”

Hall’s involvement with children certainly will help prepare her for her future goals of being a pediatrician and a mother.

Positive influences are vital in successfully raising a child. Thankfully for Hall, she was blessed with a great family and inspirational teachers. One of her most influential teachers was a special needs teacher she peer tutored for in the eighth grade. It was then that Hall learned of her talents for caring for others. This teacher’s important lessons of compassion and love still inspire Hall to show those same characteristics to the children with whom she works.

“I never knew the impact a teacher could have on a child’s life,” Ashley said. “I just hope I can be a positive influence on all the kids I work with.”

It is said that the best kind of teacher is one that leads by example. For Ashley this kind of teaching took place in her home. Ashley watched as her Mother prepared for lessons, talked to parents, and spent countless hours trying to figure out ways to teach a specific child a concept. Ashleys Mom, Jeanne takes a special interest in her fourth graders and she taught Ashley to do the same.   Teaching is a gift and for Ashley is comes naturally.