SpongeBob Comes to Highland

Romney Jackson

(From left to right) Tate Nichols (12), Sarah Kurth (11), and Savannah Moon (10) put up SpongeBob signs outside of Highland.

Gabi de Oliveira, Entertainment Editor

If you’ve been on the Highland auditorium’s stage in the past few weeks, you may have wondered whether you just got transported into Bikini Bottom from SpongeBob SquarePants (1999- ). 

It was our very own Highland students who created this different world for this year’s annual musical: “SpongeBob SquarePants: the Broadway Musical”. After months of hard work, rehearsals, and building, they’re almost ready to show everyone.

“It’s a little intimidating,” said Annie Passman (12). 

Passman plays the titular character and is the show’s lead. You may have caught her as Ella’s stepsister Gabrielle in last year’s musical, “Cinderella”, or as Juror 10 in play production’s rendition “12 Angry Jurors”. 

“I’m having a ball doing it. I grew up on SpongeBob,” said Passman. “It’s a character I’m very familiar and comfortable with.”

The musical follows SpongeBob (Passman) as he and his friends- including Patrick Starr (Rowan Jackson) and Sandy Cheeks (Eleanor Scoville)- attempt to save Bikini Bottom from a volcanic eruption. Meanwhile, Mr Krabs (Tate Nichols), Plankton (Leah Schwemmer), and Karen the Computer (Aviana Cova) try to profit from the impending doom, and Squidward (Sebastien Green) is determined to make this into his big break.

But the show goes beyond the original cartoon it is based off of, with this brand new story featuring the host of characters everyone knows. Even if you don’t know them, you won’t miss out.

Zoe Mosdell (12), PR Manager for the theater department and Perch Perkins in the musical, is adamant that anyone can enjoy their production.

“There’s something for everybody,” said Mosdell. “It’s not just about the cartoon, it reaches multiple audiences.”

Just within the set list there is something for everybody, ranging from pop to tap to gospel. This is largely owed to the variety of musicians writing the songs including John Legend, David Bowie, Sara Bareilles, and even Panic! At the Disco. 

The cast and crew have committed to doing them justice.

Stage Manager Trin Martin (11) and their crew have worked hard to make everything look great and run smooth. Martin previously helped tech last year’s musical, “Cinderella”, and played Officer Phelps in “Bloody Murder”.

“Being able to watch as the show becomes an actual production and not just words on a page and being part of that process is wonderful,” said Martin.

All of Highland is invited to take a trip down to Bikini Bottom from November 17-21 for “SpongeBob SquarePants: the Broadway Musical.” For students, it is only $5 while general admission is $10. 

If you still aren’t convinced, Passman has convincing words:

“I get to climb a twenty foot ladder while singing, so come see me do that.”